Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Response #1: It's Not What You Eat, It's Where You Eat

The blog title might suggest I have an unwavering devotion to east coast fare, limiting my palate to only the foods put before me for the past 18 years. I’ve come to realize I’m a victim of circumstance. Growing up in a big Italian family I’ve learned that food is often used as a means of showing affection, bringing the family together and most importantly arguing over who has the best recipe.
            Since we live only twenty minutes from the mecca of Italian cuisine (Arthur Ave. in the Bronx, not Little Italy in Manhattan) any Italian cook in the family has the advantage of using the best ingredients in the area. Realizing that I was leaving for college in less then a week, my family used this tactical food advantage to give me the kind of lavish send off that would make the last supper look like a Happy Meal.
            Their attack on my taste buds started off small. I opened my fridge to find clear container of bocconcini. As I dropped the second piece into my mouth I was told more Arthur Ave. delights were in route. No sooner did my grandmother show up to our door with fresh homemade tomato sauce and ravioli. Just when I thought the evening couldn’t get any better, my Dad showed me the tender hand-breaded veal cutlets that would be consumed just hours before we were scheduled to depart for Ohio.
            I hate to admit it, but their plan worked. I missed New York before I even left. Leaving the east coast became a daunting task knowing I would have to leave most of my favorite Italian delicacies behind.
            Thankfully I found some hope in Athens. One night my roommate and I ran into GoodFella’s pizza on Court Street. Like the ignorant New Yorker I am, I was convinced I couldn’t enjoy a pizza outside of the New York tri-state area. However, I reluctantly tried Goodfella’s and was instantly reminded of home. The soft dough coupled with the perfect amount of cheese and tomato sauce made me realize that good food can be found anywhere.
            Before I head back east I hope to learn this region’s food culture and maybe even bring back a mid-western recipe to compete with my big Italian family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment