Monday, November 7, 2011

Week 9: The Legend of Big Nooch


In the spirit of our classes’ field trip to Whole Foods, I’ve decided to tackle a subject I’m not all that familiar with, vegan food.

So, I did a little research on the topic and found that vegans don’t eat meat, eggs or dairy product. Sounds to me like vegans are missing a little protein in their diets, right? 

Wrong, I’m dead wrong. For years, vegans have used the holy grail of protein powders in their diets behind our backs. And I’m not talking about muscle milk.

I’m talking about “Nooch.” That’s right, vegans eat nooch.

Never heard of it? Neither have I. According to foodsalive.com, “Nutritional yeast [commonly refered to as “Nooch”] is an excellent source of protein, dietary fiber, vitamins. Especially the B-complex vitamins including B12 and minerals.”

So I thought, okay, well it’s a yellow power made of yeast, sugarcane and beat molasses, doesn’t sound too appetizing.

Wrong again. It tastes like cheese. The boxed version from foodsalive.com is the Swiss army knife of protein laden vegan product:  “[Sprinkle] some on hot popcorn, garlic bread, add a spoonful to cereals, juices, smoothies or use as a seasoning for salad, soup, gravy, casseroles, and so much more!”
Nooch is essentially the organic (and edible) version of the powdered cheese that comes in the blue Kraft Box. So why have us non-vegans rejected nooch for so long?

Eh, Philly “Nooch” Steak just doesn’t sound or taste right.
 

1 comment: